I can’t even begin to tell you how hyped I am about Taeyang’s “Solar” album finally being released! I have been wanting this album for forever. I love Taeyang’s voice, his dancing, and his personality. It’s been a long time coming, but it’s here now! Solar! I will gush and gush about this until you want to die, but that’s just how I am; I’m an incurable fangirl when it comes to this boy.
Yesterday I posted my initial thoughts on the songs YG chose to preview. You can read about those here.
- Solar (Intro): Can’t breathe… ldjflsjfld. I guess we heard almost the whole version in the preview, but I honestly don’t care at this moment. I really like this intro. It gets you so excited. “Are you ready for ‘Solar’?” YES! Taeyang doesn’t have the best English in the world, but he really knocks it out of the park in this.
- Superstar: I’m still not sold on the synthy trumpet sound, but this song is really cool. LDSFJLSDJ I JUST REALIZED I’M LISTENING TO TAEYANG’S ALBUM. DIFJSDLJF. I love his voice so much. I reaaaaally like the feeling of this song. It’s smooth and not boring at all. I know some people weren’t into it, but how could you not like this? I like the pre-chorus a lot. Yeah,YB, I’m your biggest fan (among many others)~ haha. BRIDGE! LOVE IT! (You’re about to get really tired of me abusing positive adjectives and words like “love” LOL.)
- I Need a Girl (Feat. G-Dragon): IDLFJDSJKF IT’S THE MAIN TRACK! I LIKE IT 5 SECONDS IN. IS THAT OKAY? LOL the LYRICSSSS. “I need a girl like…” Sick of being single LOL DIESSS. But is it okay that I’m dying from how gorgeous this sounds? I CAN PROMISE YOU THIS IS GOING TO BE A NEW FAVORITE. SONG, PREPARE TO BE ABUSED. It’s silly but I’m kind of gushy and emotional (happy) over this. He sounds SO. AMAZING. I want to explode right now. This isn’t called Fangirltainment for nothing, just so you know. I can’t help but giggle over the voice-overs. GDDDD! He fits in this song. AND HE’S REFERENCING SE7EN! Anyway, he’s not sounding too G-Dragon. He sounds toned done, which works here. BRB DYING BECAUSE TAEYANG WANTS TO KILL ME WITH HIS VOICE. I need you too~
- Just a Feeling: I already loved this song from the preview/teaser. It’s sooo pretty and I love the pace. I’m glad they didn’t follow “I Need a Girl” with something slow. The chorus has me so in love, guh. And I can’t get over how we’re getting almost 40 minutes of pure Taeyang (and 30 minutes of those are brand new)! I’ll take that any day of the week. LOL “I want to make love to you, say my name,” wow bb, that’s scandalous of you I can tell I’ll love this song in the future. I like how Taeyang easily throws around falsetto; my kryptonite, for whatever reason.
- You’re My: Out of all the songs previewed, this was my least favorite. I liked it, but it has so much cheesiness to it… However, listening to it again the thing I notice the most is how beautiful Taeyang’s voice sounds (you should start counting how many times I reference this boy’s vocals haha). It’s really a sweet song, even if his English words are a little silly haha. Hang on… this new stuff that wasn’t previewed… loving it so freaking harddd. It’s still cheesy (“you’re my candy”) but it sounds so good. How could I hate it?
- Move (Feat. Teddy): TEDDY! I can’t wait to hear this song. It’s new stuff! It’s for the ladies, didn’t you hear? HAHA. I like how it’s taken up a notch from the last track. The earnestness in Taeyang’s voice is perfect. I can kind of see why they didn’t preview this song, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like it! It doesn’t have as much variation as the other things we’ve heard so far. You can tell it’s a good track though; it just has a different feel. LOL SO MUCH AT TEDDY THOUGH. Wow, I wonder if this will get banned? It’s so ~sexual~ LOL I love it though.
- Breakdown: The beginning of this song is so different from what the song turns into. It’s really upbeat. I can’t wait to hear how it progresses. The energy is perfect. The autotune is not, but whatever! I love me some Taeyang no matter what. One thing I enjoy about this song is that it’s nothing like what we’ve had in the past from Taeyang. I adore that, actually. It’s a good song.
- 니가 잠든 후에 (Feat. Swings) [After You Fall Asleep]: This song, which was written/composed by G-Dragon, DEFINITELY had me as soon as I heard the teaser. I love it even more in full version. It’s the perfect mix of pretty and funky, if that makes sense. It makes me want to die because I love the way the vocals sound, but the music is also AMAZING. It’s a good mix. I think it’s going to wind up being one of my favorite tracks from this album, when all is said and done. Of course, at this point it’s hard to predict exactly what I will love after A LOT of listens (things change after a certain point; early favorites might not hold up), but I feel like no matter what I’ll still like this track. I don’t know who Swings is, particularly, but he works well with the song. Omg, I seriously cannot get over how much I love the chorus!
- Where U At: It’s almost funny having this song mixed in with the rest. I still love this song, even after months and months. It’s not the strongest track on the album (I can say that now), but it was good enough to stand on its own for me. I’m really glad it got it’s own video and time to shine. I like the lyrics a lot too; they’re incredibly sweet. I lovelovelove how this is dedicated (sort of) to his soulmate. I’m the kind of person who believes in such things, haha, big surprise. I think it’s great being single, but sometimes it’s easy to ask the question, “Where u at?” (despite all of the grammatical issues with it) after the creepiest guy in class asks you out, or when you’re once again the third/fifth/seventh wheel, etc. Guh, I love Taeyang for this song!
- Wedding Dress: Oh my, this track is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite songs. Something about it is heart-breakingly gorgeous. Unlike “Where U At,” I don’t particularly relate to it, but I think it’s a great story. I like the way the song breathes. It grows and grows and makes you happy and sad all at once. At least it makes me that way.
- Take it Slow: THE LAST SONG! I like the music so far. It’s very epic feeling. Oh my goodness ;__; I like it so much. So much. It seems multilayered or something? Idk how to explain it. I am loving the chorus. I want a translation ASAP, okplzthx! I am all out of key-smashing and gushing (in the nonsensical way), but ohhh. This reminds me of “Make Love” in a way. It has the perfect feel for a last song. I want to put this on repeat now if that tells you anything. Ohhhhhh it’s ending I LOVE YOU, SONG.
Holy smokes. I’ve now listened to it. I’ve been wanting to do that for so long! Now that I’ve been through the entire album, I can say that I’m not disappointed in the least. It’s actually a lot like I imagined it! There are songs that I fell in love with immediately, songs that I probably will love later, songs that I will (most likely) never LOVE but always LIKE, and songs that simply felt epic and amazing and asdfljsdlfjd. I know a lot of people would wonder that I’m not more critical, but I am simply a fangirl to the fullest when it comes to Taeyang. Still, if I try to be objective at all (it’s difficult), I’d say this was actually a very solid album. It has some tracks that are weaker than others, but pretty much any album does. I think, on the whole, the album flows together really well. It has some stand-out tracks. I predict a new favorite!