I apologize for being gone for a bit. My college started last week so I’ve been busy with that. You are all such sweethearts to keep visiting though. People are still coming! It’s great. When I don’t feel like it’s worth it to write, I remember you and it gets me excited again.
SO! 2NE1′s new album is out. It was released a few hours ago, but I was in the middle of classes so I missed the excitement of refreshing pages until it appeared on my screen. However, I’m still pretty pumped for it. It’s been a long time coming (but it’s here now. What? You know you were thinking it), but here we are and it’s too exciting.
Somehow, though, I don’t feel quite ready for this album. I want to hear it and I’ve been waiting for it for ages, but I somehow… don’t know what to think about it being here already. I think I’m nervous that it will disappoint. OH WELL! There is only one way to find out: let’s get ready to listen.
- Can’t Nobody: LKSDFLjsd new music! I like the energy in the beginning. UGH, I love these girls. The chorus! I really like it. BOMMIE! Can’t nobody hold us down~ LOL I LOVE HOW THEY LED YOUR MIND TO THINK OF “THAT” WORD. “I don’t give a *bleep.*” HAHA. I like the “let’s rock” part.
- Go Away: Ooh, I like this. It’s slower but it’s still pretty upbeat. LOL what’s with the cursing in this album? It’s almost funny though. Anyway, I like the chorus. I need to give this song time, because that’s how I am with 2NE1. I think it will be like that for the whole album. Maybe I will have to do a second review! Who knows. I can tell it will grow on me, and it’s not like I’m disliking anything. However, it’s not immediate love like how I tend to be with Big Bang. You know?
- 박수쳐 [Clap Your Hands]: The beginning of this song seems promising. I want to watch the video now! It’s out already, so we’ll see. It’s taking a long time to load. This is one of those songs I’ll be more into later. OMG THE MUSICAL REFERENCE TO JINUSEAN’S “AYO”! HAHA. I like the Dara bridge. It’s fun. And I like the chorus; it’s really addicting.
- 난 바빠 [I'm Busy]: LOL I LIKE THE BEGINNING! It’s kind of hilarious. “난 바빠” sounds so cool repeated. I’M BUSY I’M BUSY I’M BUSY haha. This is one of my favorites so far. I don’t know why.
- 아파 (SLOW) [Painful]: OKAY I LOVE THIS SONG THE BEST SO FAR! But why is it slow? Is there a faster version? I feel like I heard a teaser for the regular version. WHATEVA! This is sososo amazing. It’s uncomplicated. Lovely! It’s not trying to hard or anything. It just shows off their pure talent! This is now my favorite from the album. I love CL’s singing omg. I’m so glad she gets to sing a lot in this song. 아파, 아파아아아~ This is so going on repeat later ♥
- 사랑은 아야야 [Love is Ayaya]: Wow, the album really picks up! I like this song A LOT. Not that I didn’t like the first few songs of the album; it’s just that these last two new songs are so GOOD. This song almost reminds me of Taeyang’s “Take it Slow” because it is so clean and smooth but passionate in all the right ways. Still, I’m excited to listen to everything again after being reassured that there are a few songs I liked right away. It always goes that way; I click with certain songs at first, and then later I start liking the others. Well, it doesn’t happen with everyone but I’m confident that it will with 2NE1
- You & I: Bom’s song. I still love this! It’s gorgeous. It’s the best solo track, in my opinion. The song is just great on it’s own and then it’s perfectly accented by Bom’s beautiful voice.
- Please Don’t Go: CL and Minzy’s song. This song is all sorts of fail but because I am a huge 2NE1 fan I can still listen to it LOL. It’s just a weird track… it has a split personality. I feel like it’s two odd songs pushed together. And it’s rushed. I don’t know. CL and Minzy sound great in it, but just… no.
- Kiss: Dara’s song. This song is pretty addicting. The lyrics are so funny, but I can stand it. It’s pretty good for Dara; I don’t mean that rudely. Dara can sing, but when it comes to comparing her with other members of the group, she has the most average voice. She sounds good in this song and I love that. It fits with Dara’s fun, flirty personality too.
- 날 따라 해봐요 [Try to Follow Me]: This song… kind of a disaster. I never got into it, to be honest. I loooooove the video to death, but the song is very generic and boring. It doesn’t show off anyone’s vocals or talent or anything. Everyone sounds very similar; for a while I didn’t even know Bom was in this track! She sounds like Minzy, and that’s a huge stretch because Bom and Minzy have no reason to sound alike. It’s a fun song, but it falls flat in too many ways.
- I Don’t Care (Reggae Mix Ver.): I love this version! I’m so glad they recorded an official version. It’s enough different from the original to be worth listening to for its own merit. I like the easy flow of it, and the reggae vibe is very awesome when paired with “I Don’t Care.”
- Can’t Nobody (English Ver.): OMG ENGLISH. HEARTS IN MY EYES RIGHT NOW. I’m curious how they’ll sound in English too because they are looking to debut in the US at some point. So far CL sounds pretty good. They even worked it out to have Minzy sound really amazing (she is the only one who isn’t fluent/relatively fluent in English). I wasn’t too worried about it though because she’s really good at singing in English. The lyrics are cheesy, but whatever. You can’t have everything!
In conclusion, this album is both good and bad? It’s hard to say. It depends on how you want to look at it. As the titles suggests, I have hearts for eyes (anime style) when it comes to 2NE1. They’re a fantastic group. However, YG Entertainment has this problem with over-hyping their artists to death. I think in some ways this album really delivered, but it’s not without flaws. Stand-out tracks are definitely “Painful” and “Love is Ayaya.” Tracks that I kind of know I’ll eventually love are “Can’t Nobody” and “Clap Your Hands.” In fact, all of the new tracks are pretty exciting; “Go Away” and “I’m Busy” are very listenable songs, and maybe more attractive (initially) to me than “Can’t Nobody” and “Clap Your Hands” which seem to be touted as the best album tracks. I find it a little disappointing that they filled the album up with previously released (digital) tracks, but it’s not like it hasn’t been done before. I still dislike “Please Don’t Go” and “Try to Follow Me,” but fans (like me!) will still listen to them because their beloved ladies sing them
I definitely recommend this to people who have enjoyed 2NE1 songs in the past. It’s not a miracle or gift to K-pop, but it’s a solid album. I can’t wait to check out the promotions for this album! They’re promoting three title tracks at once (“Can’t Nobody,” “Clap Your Hands,” and “Go Away”), so it should be very interesting. I’ll try to post about the videos at some point, but depending on the content I might wait until all three are out.